Friday, March 19, 2010

That's High School, by Caley Williams, grade 7

My heart pounded loudly in my chest as I an out of breath. There was no doubt about it they were getting closer. I desperately hoped it wasn’t her. But if it was… maybe she cared I had left. Maybe she knew how I felt. Maybe… no. She didn’t like me. She would never like me. But I stopped anyways. Falling into the grass I wondered.
God why? Then I heard panting behind me.
“ Tommy! I’m so glad I found you! I was really worried!” then she plopped herself down in the grass beside me.
“ Aren’t you gonna get all muddy?” I asked. Girls never liked mud or getting dirty. She’d probably just get up and leave.
“ Aw I can always wash ‘em!” Then she laid down her blonde hair splaying out like a halo around her head. Even in the dark I could tell she was grinning. Her sapphire eyes gleamed in the moonlight. I could feel her body heat as her arm gently laid against mine. “ Tommy?” She whispered.
“ Yeah?”
“ I have something to tell you and I don’t know how to do it. I… I’ve always been amazed with you. Your kind to your sisters, you love animals, you love God, your one of the few guys who actually sing in worship time, and you are always a gentlemen. But tonight… tonight you stood up for what you believed in. You didn’t care what anyone else thought. I admire that in you the most. Your ability to be yourself,” She looked at me intently. Something indescribable was in her eyes. I gaped at her. “ Tommy I’ve always liked you. “ she murmured and pulled me into a tight embrace. I ran my hand through her silky halo and kissed the top of her head.
“ Me too, Delilah, me too.” And from that moment on I knew that she was the girl who held my heart. She may have been wild an crazy and loud but she was also kind and gentle and loving. Some people say high school romances never last but I had a feeling ours would. Some part of me felt drawn to her. She was the embodiment of love and she was beautiful. I seriously think without the embarrassment of the night I would have never been with her. And that how the worst night of my life turned into the best thing that ever happened to me.
But hey! That’s High School!

No comments:

Post a Comment