Friday, March 19, 2010

Goodbye Dad, by Abigale Skaudis, 6th Grade

“ I’m sorry mam, but I don’t think that he is going to make it. The wound is too big.”
My heart stopped, there, another thing taken away from me. Even my house failed to remain our’s. Things had been going rough and knowing that my dad was in the army injured didn’t help. We knew that the house was the only way we could pay for our bills.
The next few days passed by way too fast. Everything was a blur. And before I knew it the moving van was packed and we were ready to go to our other house in the run down town of San Pusci, New Jersey.
“ Honey will you stop frowning? This place is going to be gorgeous it’s one level…has 1 bathroom…” My mother trailed off, and looked at the road. “You’ll still love it, I swear.”
From that moment on all I heard was the rattling of the few things we had in the back of the truck. And before I could even think we were in front of a apartment building labeled ‘ Glacier Hills’. We spent hours unpacking and didn’t talk once during the whole thing. Dinner was only the sounds of clanking forks. I knew that my mom was in pain, she loved my father. But now that she knows he’s never coming back, Her heart is broken in 2.
The morning sun woke me up fast, and school was the next thing to do today. I heard my mom calling to me from the small kitchen.
“ Emily!” there was a small pause. “ Emily it’s time to eat!” I could hear the eggs simmering on the pan, but didn’t have enough energy to answer her call. “ Emily Jane Hansen! You better get up now young lady!” I groaned loud enough to make her hear me. “ I’m coming…I’m Coming,” I screamed. I slowly forced myself to get up and looked out my window. Over and across the meadow, I saw a strange jungle gym thing, just sitting there, lifeless. “ Okay Emily this is the last time if your not here in 2 minutes, NO T.V. for 2 weeks.” I groaned again but quieter, Then opened my door and stumbled to the kitchen table. “ Egg’s?” i looked at her. Then she looked at me and frowned. “ These are for me. New house’s come with new responsibilities.” She smiled then looked back at the frying eggs. “ What school am I going to mom?” she looked at a crumpled sheet of paper next to the stove. “ San Pusci High”
I laughed then layed my head on the table. “ What time do I have to be there?” she looked at the sheet again. “ 7:00.” I yawned, “ Good, because it’s only 8:00 so I have….” I sat up quickly. “ MOM, IT’S 8 O’CLOCK!!!” I screamed. “ She walked away from her pan of egg’s and grabbed the keys, and then we were in the car, cruising down the highway. We pulled up to this historic looking high school, and once again I groaned. “ Gosh, why couldn’t we stay in New York? Where the high school’s weren’t made in the 1700’s!” My mother gave me this look that sent a tingle down my spine. “ Okay…okay….im going.” She signed a piece of blank paper and handed it to me. “ Give this to the lady in the office, I have to work late tonight too, so I’m expecting you to walk home.” She smiled, then opened the door for me, “ Have a good day honey.” I slowly slipped out of the seat and my feet landed on grass, not pavement. I walked toward the school and stared at the door for a moment, then took a deep breath. This was going to be a long day.
As I opened the door, I felt like I was entering a jungle, full of crazy animals and creatures that wanted to rip me to shreads. As I walked in it was almost like all the bullies looked at me and were ready to attack. I walked up to a nice looking girl, “ Um….Excuse me, I’m new and I was wondering if you could tell me where the front desk is?” She turned her head and smiled, “ Um…it’s not my problem now is it? Talk to someone who actually cares.” On her way past me she hit me with her shoulder. I stood there astonished. “ Okay..” I walked toward a sign that said ‘ Main Office’ Thinking that it meant like the sign up desk, But when I walked in a principle was sitting there looking at a file of papers. “Can I help you?” He looked at me and smiled with glissening white teeth. I felt like I was in the presence a famous person, I was starstruck. “ Um…ah….yah…well I was late, and new and I need help…..” He interrupted me, “ Finding your class, We get new kids all the time, don’t worry. Can I have your name please?” He started going through a filing machine. “ Em….Em…Emily…Hanson.”
“ Okay, Emily, here is your class schedule and here is the lunch times, feel free to stop in here if you have any questions.” He smiled again. And I smiled back with my yellowish grin. Then walked out of the room. Everyone was gone, I looked at my schedule, “ Gym.” I mumbled, “ room 204”





To Be Continued……

No comments:

Post a Comment