Friday, March 19, 2010

Remember Me! by Elise Stepka 8th Grade

Beep, beep, beep. The heartbeat monitor went on and on. I couldn’t believe it. Just yesterday, she told me I drove her crazy, and now… The woman who changed my diapers, and bought me my first skateboard, was lying in front of me, helpless, and I couldn’t be the one to help her.

Wake up!
Open your eyes now!
Come on, you can do it!

Beep, beep. Nothing. Her chest rose and fell, rose and fell.

“Wake up mom!” I said out loud this time. I felt tears stream down my face, and I didn’t even care if anyone saw me. For the first time in 15 years, I was really scared. Not ‘scared of the dark’ scared, but horrifyingly, terrified, scared.
A doctor wearing a white coat walked in, “How are you related to Melinda Jones?” he asked.
“I am Jacob Jones, her son.” I answered.
“I could tell, you’ve got her eyes, “ he said.
I hear that a lot. Dad lives in Texas, he and mom are divorced.
“Your mother had a terrible car accident with a drunk driver. We are assuming that she has a concussion, but we need to wait until she wakes up. My name is
Dr.Telley, I’ll be your mother’s main doctor. I’ll be working with her until she is ready to leave."
I knew the only thing I could do, was wait. I keep seeing flash backs of me and mom. Mom and I at the movies, mom teaching me how to read, mom teaching me how to ride a bike the memories keep playing, like a movie in my head. All of a sudden, the beeps got faster. Beep, beep, beep, beep. Her eyes flickered, and then opened. “Mom!” I cried. I hugged her until she looked at me funny. She looked at me like I was a stranger.
“Can I help you son?” she questioned softly, being who she is.
“I’m your son, Jake!” she has to remember! What is wrong with her? Maybe she’s just a little groggy. Dr What’s-his-face stormed in. he introduced himself to Mom as he did me. "What’s your name?” he questioned.
“Melinda Jones” she replied.
Theres no point in this! She knows who she is.
“What year is it?”
“1998”
“see she knows!” I told the doctor when I realized what she said. No she’s off by 13 years!
“How old are you?”
“29” she replied confidently.
He went on and on. The only thing she got right, was her name. She still didn’t know who I was. I explained that I was here son . She didn’t believe me. I grabbed a taxi. I had no where to live. I’m only 15 for goodness sakes! I can’ drive, I could live with dad, but he doesn’t want me there. I can’t live by myself!@ What’s going to happen to me? Just like always, I have to depend on adults. Even if they aren’t worthy of my respect.

1 comment: