Friday, March 19, 2010

A Dollar Can Go Very Far By Katie Moynihan, 6th Grade

My name is Katherine Valoe. I’m fifteen years old, and I love mysteries. Little did I know that I was going to be in one. That was the day things would go wrong.
I was walking home from school, minding my own business, when I find a dollar on the ground. I struck luck today. I picked up, just like any other kid would. Now I have money for a candy bar. Man I was hungry.
Then I realized, this wasn’t a regular dollar bill, this was a hundred dollar bill! But what I didn’t know was that this type of bill has never been released to the public.
I shoved the bill in my backpack, and quickly walked home. But it felt like someone was watching me. Maybe even someone following me. I never turned round because, I imagine things way to often. But my mother said the strangest thing when I got home, and I got nervous.
“Who’s your friend out there?” she asked. It sounded like I was five.
“Mom,” I said. Really responding to the sound of her voice. “Wait, what friends?”
“I don’t know, kids with ages 25-40 years.” she replied.
Kids, she calls everyone kids, and it was starting to embarrass me. But that wasn’t what was bugging me now.
“Mom, I didn’t have anyone follow me home on purpose,” I said in a real quiet, shaky voice.
Maybe they were following me, but why? I didn’t do anything different today. I had math band, Spanish, English, art. I did all my normal things today.
“Katherine, it’s ok, maybe they were just moving a long down the same street as you,” Mom said in a calm firm voice. “Did you do anything different today?”
“I was thinking that myself…”
I stopped in mid-sentence. I know what they’re after. My luck of the hundred dollar bill has now turned into the most dangerous escape of my life.
***

“Mom,” I said. “Something weird did happen today.”
“What was it sweetheart?” She asked. I couldn’t believe how calm she was.
I told her my story. From the end of school, until I got home. Afterward, her face went white. I thought she was a ghost.
“Sweetie,” She said. Her voice was really shaky. “Before you got home, I was watching the news while I was cleaning.” She took a deep breath. “I heard that someone stole the brand new, not even released yet, one hundred dollar bill.”
I was speechless. I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t even think straight. This is just really scary.
“Mom, what should I do,” I asked. I was about to faint from fright. One time I took someone else’s flute, but it was easy to fix. “Should I give it to the bank, send it back to he White House, or what? Should I even do anything? I’m glad my dad wasn’t home yet, or he would be bouncing off the walls.
“I don’t know,” She answered. “But I think we should hold on to it, and see if we can get to the bottom of this mystery.” I sat back in my seat, eyes closed. Why would this happen to me? My life already gets difficult enough.
I started to cry. What else should I do? The only thing is that it makes me feel so young.
“So we’re going to e like detectives?” I asked my mom still sniffling.
“I guess, but we don’t have the outfits,” Mom said. “So I guess we are detectives. And you must tell l nobody about our assignment. Where do you think we should start first?”
I thought for a moment, trying to think of where we should start.
“I think we should start asking people around the docks, and people in the shops,” I said wisely.
“Ok,” she answered. “Oh no, I almost forgot. Katherine, I have to stay here and keep cleaning. Maybe you can take Maddie with you.
“Sure mom,”
Maddie is my best friend. After I called her and told her the story, she ran all the way over here and was ready to go.
“Alright,” she said. “Let’s get a move on.

***

When we got to the docks, we started asking everyone that would listen if they had seen something strange today. We got no clues, information, or leads. It was very disappointing. Especially since this is a big problem.
“I think we should go to all the shops, and ask the employees if they saw anything.” I answered, sounding much like a professional. “And see if they have any footage of the last four hours or so. Wait Maddie, when was the bill stolen?”
“I think it was on the news. And according to the news, they said it was late last night. Around one a.m.”
We walked into a gift shop, and luckily there was no line, so I went over to the clerk. I asked her some questions, and then asked her if they had a security camera, and if we could take a look at it.
“Sorry,” she replied, smacking gum that could be heard all the way across town. “Employees only. Next!”
And with that, we headed out the door, and went to the next shop. This was a jewelry shop. They have to have security cameras. I went through the same procedure, and we still couldn’t look at the cameras. They didn’t give us any leads either.
Maddie and I went along every sore on the street for at least an hour, if not more.
Well, every shop except Little Joey’s. Little Joey’s was an old trade shop that needed a repaint 25 years ago. Everything form pluming to wall paint was wrong in that place.
“I don’t think they have security cameras,” Maddie whispered in my ear.
“Well if not, someone might have something that will help,” I said sounding reasonable.
We went into the little shack and looked around. There was everything from radios to cards to tables.
“Wow,” Maddie replied as we went in the store. “You can find anything antique you want in here.
We heard a guy snoozing behind the front desk. He was a man about 65 years old, and was clean.
“Umm, excuse me sir,” I whispered, trying to wake the man up. “Sir, excuse me.”
“Huh? Oh, hello there! What can I help you with?”
“Hi,” Maddie said sweetly. “Are you the owner?”
“Have been for the last 40 years, and hope to stay for many more.” Said as I presume, “Little” Joey.
“Great,” I said. Trying to het to why we were even here. “We were here to ask you if you saw anything strange today.”
“Well, I see a lot of strange things, everyday\y.
But this morning, or late afternoon I saw 5 people around 30-40 years old run into my shop and asked if I sold frames. Then they asked if I had frames the sixe of a dollar bill.” Joey paused. “I haven’t had someone in the need of that size since 1974. Then…”
“Wait, Maddie do you have paper and a pencil,” I asked.
“Yeah why?”
She said, taking the notepad and pencil from her back pocket.
“I need you to take notes,” I said. “What did these men look like?”
“Well, hey all looked similar. Like they were related. Brown hair, green eyes, one of them had a long nose. And they were all wearing black sweatshirts and sweatpants.”
“Thank you sir, I mean Joey. This is the information we needed.” I was about to do a happy dance, but I stopped myself. “Do you know where they went after they came here?”
“I don’t know much, all I heard them say was that this place had little value. That way they would be safe. He finished looking sad. “I wish I had more to hive you.”
“It’s ok, and thanks, you helped us a lot.”
“Glad to help.” Joey said, and then disappeared behind his desk.

***

Maddie, think, Where is a place with little value to most people?”

“True, let’s start there!”
I exclaimed.
We ran to the school, and searched it from head-to-toe. I thought she would be right. The school seems to be the only thing that would work.

(to be continued…)

No comments:

Post a Comment