Friday, March 19, 2010

The House on Cherry Town Street By:Anu Muppirala - Seventh grade

Part One The Warning

That’s me, an annoying, bratty girl who talks too much. At least, that’s what my parents say about me. Personally, I feel I’m the complete opposite. Not to brag about myself or anything, but I really think I have potential, it’s just hard to find the right place and the right time to show it.
My parents had abandoned me when I was ten. There probably wasn’t much use looking for them now. I’m not really the emotional type, and I never really had a strong bond with them anyways. The morning they left, I set off on my way, living in hiding. And it’s been that way ever since.
I ended up in Sanfrancisco, California somehow. Don’t ask me what I inteneded on doing there, cause, honestly, I don’t know half of the things I do these days. I guess all that matters to me is to live. I sometimes wonder why that would matter to me in the least.
Stores and stores of priceless goodies and foods bordered the streets. It just looked too good to be true. And here these people are, buying it as if anyone could afford it. Thn again, anyone probably could.
I kept walking until I saw an icecream shop on the corner of Cherry Maple Street. Why did they have to name streets after food to? I’m already starved enough!
A chubby, stout man was pacing back and forth in front of it. His white hair was so artificial, that if it weren’t the midst of summer, I would have taken it as snow.
I walked in his direction, expecting the usual, smile then frown. But this man kept smiling. In fact, it got bigger as I faced stopped and faced him.
He stared at me. I returned the look. Was this man happy to see me? Did I know him in some other world of mine?
Chapter Two
“Hello there little girl!” He said.
I looked at him carefully. “Hello.”
“What can I do you for?”
I looked at him. What could he do for me? “Um…well, I actually was just coming to town looking for work.” I shrugged. “ No one would take me, so I kept my chin high.”
His smile got even bigger. I started to wonder if his face was going to go red.
“Perfect! I need someone to help me.”
“You need help sir?” I asked. Maybe this was my chance to find work!
He examined me up and down.
“You look rather thin. Would you like something to eat?”
I wanted to burst out, “Yes, you saved my life! Thank you!” But I managed a smile and nodded politely.
“Come with me.” He gestured me to come walk with him to the nearest pretzel shop. The way he put his arm around me made me uncomfortable.
“Sit down. What would you like?”
I stared in awe at the menu. He smiled as he watched me struggle to choose. He turned to the waitress.
“I’ll take one of everything.”
Chapter Three
While we ate. Well correction, while I ate, he told me how he was rich enough to retire. And he was looking for someone to take over his parlor. I gladly accepted. He gave me the keys and set me off on my way. But then he stopped me. “Where do you live.”
I looked at him. I wasn’t much of a lier, but I was worried it could risk me my job I was looking ages for. I looked at streets and saw a neighbor hood.
“I live on Cherry Town Street,” I said, not knowing what else to do. Only an idiot wouldn’t be able to detect the amount of guilt in my voice.
He smiled as if he knew something. “Really? Well, I hope you enjoy your stay. That neighbor hood gets to be very comfortable sometimes.”
I just nodded and turned away heading for the neighborhood. That man was creeping me out. I didn’t know he gave me the job just to keep me in town.

1 comment:

  1. man this is awesome! I want to know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete