Friday, March 19, 2010

Saving The Park By: Natalie Wijesinghe, Grade: 6

“I’m sorry, he’s not going to make it, the wound is just too deep.” The moment the words came out of the doctors mouth, I knew. My heart, and soul had been ripped out of me, until there was nothing left just me, Emily Hanson. My mom hugged me, but nothing could take away the pain. Hot tears streamed down my cheeks, and then everything seemed to go blank.

A week later we were unpacking boxes into our new apartment. It felt weird not having my dad say, “Go and help your mom upstairs Emily.” Or “Look at you carrying all those boxes.” But I knew he wasn’t gone for every night I would talk to him, before bed.

“Goodnight Dad” I said. Setting the picture facedown.

I opened my eyes. “Emily wake up sweetie” my mom said. “You don’t want to be late for your first day of school.” Oh joy, I thought. I got up ate breakfast. Brushed my teeth and went to the bus stop.

When I got there I noticed everyone was in groups. I was scared, but walked up to one group, and said “Hi, I’m Emily Hanson.”

One of the girls turned. “Well look it’s the new girl trying to fit in.” She said smugly. Her friends laughed. That made upset, but I forced myself to shake it off. I went over to another girl standing alone. “Hi, I’m Emily” I tried. The girl didn’t say anything.

In what seemed like forever the bus came. I got on and sat alone. I missed my best friend; we always sat on the bus together. Unfortunately, I cannot say school went much better. Each time I tried to talk to someone, they would say something mean. My heart had been ripped out all over again.

As soon as the bell rang, I ran out school, not caring where I went, when I noticed an old park. I went over and sat on a swing. Letting my tears pour out. Then I heard footsteps, I turned. My teacher, Ms. Williams stood behind me. “Hi Emily.” She said.

“Hi” I replied sulkily.

“What’s wrong?”

“Everything I said.”

“ Do you want to talk about it?”

“No.”

“Well I’ll tell you something.” She said. “When I was a little girl, my dad died in war, I know how you feel.”

All of a sudden I cracked. “It’s just so hard, my mom is working to jobs, my dad died, and nobody is even nice to me.”

Ms. Williams hugged me. “You can always talk to me when you need someone.” She said

“Thanks” I replied. Then some construction workers came.

“You girls should move the said we are doing some measurements.” One of them said.


“Why?” I asked.

“We are demolishing this place to put a mall here, you should leave now.”

On the way home, Ms. Williams said she had been playing there since she was a kid. We made a plan to protest, and ask the kids at school to help.

But the kids refused. The girls wanted a place to shop. And the boys wanted a place to ‘Hang out.’

I went home felling like a failure. I had let Ms. Williams down. Then I got an idea. I rushed home and asked my mom if she could ask the people at her work to meet at the park for a protest tomorrow at 3:00.

The next day after school Ms. Williams and I rushed to the park. You would not believe how many people were there. Some were holding signs, or starting chants. It was the best day of my life, since Dad died. The protest worked. And the park was saved.

1 comment: